Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Pugs Go Wild in a Cake Shop



I did this humorous cartoon today of some pugs going crazy in a cake shop in the 1950s (just click on the image to see it in more detail). It was so much fun to do. I am going through an anthropomorphic in my art and loving it. Let me know if it tickles your funny bone.

I grew up in England and voraciously read all the Giles cartoons. His recreation of the battle axe that was grandma was nothing short of genius. And I preferred his cartoons done in the Daily Express when they were black and white. This is an example:




I  was also influenced by the Rupert the Bear comics in which Rupert Bear has many adventures with his pals badger and pug. Now I look at it I am amazed at how little this pug resembles a real life pug although he is still cute. However Rupert's adventures were mesmerizing.


Prints of the pug cartoon can be bought at this link at Imagekind

21 comments:

  1. Love your pugs in a cake shop painting, each pug has a definite character :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was really an interesting topic and I kinda agree with what you have mentioned here! louise's cakes n things birmingham al

      Delete
  2. Love your cartoon. I, too, grew up with Rupert and Giles, and love them till today. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! How fun!! Super bit of cartooning fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool cartoon! I just love the whimsy of it, and I can see you were very much inspired! Pugs are awesome of course. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So darling! You are such a versatile artist. I've looked at your beautiful portraits and am awed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cake shop and your pug images are much better then the Rupert ones I think. I remember that flying carpet one VERY well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got the style so well. It's a great cartoon and made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fun!! Oh I just know how pugs would be in a cake shop or any dogs....scary...the mess...lol Well done!! Love it!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a funny cartoon !
    Amazing!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can sense the tension in the air, the lady at the cash box is desperate to get them all out of the shop! Great comic!
    Happy New Year!
    Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous illustrations! I love Pugs. :) Happy New Year 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute! I adore pugs! As does our dog - they are her favourite dog breed to play with. I can just imagine them snuffling around all of the cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How FUN and funny cartoon. Happy Black n White Sunday. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  14. Best Cake shops in kalyaninagar ,We provide best Birthday Cakes for girls, Rainbow Cake, Red Velvet Cake, Custom Cake Shop in Kalyaninagar
    Birthday Cakes for Girls

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete